hand‧writ‧ing /ˈhændˌraɪtɪŋ/ noun [uncountable]
the style of someone’s writing:
I recognised her handwriting on the envelope.
My handwriting has never been very neat.
• • •
▪ neat/clear Your handwriting is much neater than mine.
▪ legible/illegible (=written clearly/not written clearly enough for you to read) He writes very quickly and his handwriting is almost illegible.
▪ small/tiny Her handwriting was so tiny I couldn’t read it without my glasses.
▪ bad/poor/terrible/awful Why do doctors have such terrible handwriting?
▪ good/lovely/beautiful He wrote, in his lovely handwriting, a letter asking Ramsey to visit him.
▪ sb’s best handwriting In his best handwriting, he wrote, 'Happy Father’s Day, Dad'.
▪ have neat/small etc handwriting Yu Yin has tiny handwriting.
▪ recognize sb’s handwriting Marcus didn’t recognize the handwriting on the envelope.
▪ read sb’s handwriting I’m afraid I find it very difficult to read your handwriting.
handwriting + NOUN
▪ a handwriting expert (=someone who studies people's handwriting ) A handwriting expert has confirmed that the letter was almost certainly written by Bateman.
▪ in sb’s own handwriting Entry forms must be in the candidate’s own handwriting.
hand·writ·ing [ˈhændraɪtɪŋ] noun uncountable
1. writing that is done with a pen or pencil, not printed or typed
2. a person's particular style of writing in this way
• I can't read his handwriting.
• neat handwriting
Idiom: handwriting on the wall
• Her handwriting was neat and legible.
• I didn't recognize the handwriting on the envelope.
• She copied out the lines in her best handwriting.
• Why do doctors have such terrible handwriting?
handwriting /ˈhændˌraɪ.tɪŋ/ US /-ţɪŋ/
1 writing with a pen or pencil:
We need to ensure that handwriting is properly taught in our primary schools.
2 the particular way in which someone forms letters with a pen or pencil:
His handwriting is illegible.
handwritten /ˌhændˈrɪt.ən/ US /-ˈrɪţ-/
written using your hand rather than printed by a machine
a) Writing done with the hand, rather than typed or word-processed.
b) The characteristic writing of a particular person
See Also: handwritten , handwrite , handwrit