differences between let down and get down

اشتراک گذاری در شبکه های اجتماعی

hi teacher, I hope you are doing well today. I have a question about two phrasal verbs:  let down and get down

It's a bit confusing. I have been looking into but I am not able to get the possible differences.

تفاوت get down و let down.  یکی از معانی get down ناراحت کردن و معنی let down پشیمان کردن، سرخورده کردن هست. letdown به عنوان اسم به معنی سرخوردگی و نومیدی هست. مثلاً جمله ی it was quite a letdown to see him lose اینطور ترجمه میشه: مشاهده باختن او من رو کاملاً سرخورده/دمق کرد.

When you ask a question about words and their meanings, you should always give us the context (the sentence where you found the word) as well. Why? Because we're not sure whcih meaning you have in mind. But here's your answer anyway: (I hope it helps)

Get sb down (spoken) means to make sb feel sad or depressed. It's the opposite of "cheer sb up".

Example: I know this is difficult for you, but don't let it get you down.Her lack of social communication was beginning to get her down.

Let sb down means to dissapoint sb because you didn't do what you agreed to do or were supposed/expected to do sb or to not support or help sb as they had hoped. This phrasal verb is dissaproving and informal. The noun is "letdown" which refers to sth that is dissapointing because it's not as good as you expected. It's informal.

Examples: (verb) This car won't let you down. The worst feeling is having let our parents down. I'd been let down badly before. I'm afraid he let us down badly.

Noun: This year the exhibition was a real letdown. The end of the story was a bit of a letdown.